Nouns in Tagalog and "Panlaping Makangalan"
As I said in my previous post about "affixes" in Tagalog, depending on the affix that you stick to the "root word" you can turn a root-word into an adjective, a verb or a noun.
In Tagalog there are nouns that don't need an affix, such as, for example:
Other nouns are formed by sticking one or more "panlaping makangalan" or "noun affixes".
Here is a list of the most common "panlaping makangalan"
NOUN AFFIXES OR PANLAPING MAKANGALAN
ka-indicating a companion or colleague
ex kainuman:drinking buddy, katrabaho: work colleague
ka-....-an or ka-...-han: collective or abstract noun.
Example: kagandahan=beauty, kaalaman=knowledge, kaunawaan=insight
Pan-: denoting instrumental use of the noun.
"-an" and "-han"
1. A place where you can find many of the things described by the root word.
Example: aklatan (a place with many aklat or books=library), bigasan=rice shop
2. Place where the action described by the root word takes place
Example: aralan (place where the aral or lesson takes place), lutuan (place where luto or cooking is made), laruan, labahan
3. time in which the action indicated by the root word takes place to a large extent
Example: pistahan=time for celebration, anihan=harvesting time
4. actions done for revenge
Example: barilan=shooting, suntukan=punching
5. something numerous or very large
"in or hin"
Example: tiyuhin=uncle, inapo=offspring
2. something that has the same shape as the thing defined by the root-word
Example: sinampalok=something having the shape of sampalok or tamarind
1. part of a group
Example: kabayan=fellow countryman
Example: kalaro=fellow player
"ka – an"
1. group of things described by the root word
Example: kabahayan=group of houses
2. the climax of a situation
Example: kainitan=under the sun, in a very hot environment
1. family relationship
Example: mag-ama=father and son
2. mag- + repetition of the first syllable of the root word=profession
Example: manggagamot=someone who works in the field of medicine
Example: tag-ulan=rainy season
1. one who does the job indicated by the root word